Monday, March 12, 2012

Rethinking my fish tank

I have been planning my new system around a tank made from a small portable swimming pool. Just recently I heard that the blue swimming pool liner is not good for fish and fish in such pools have a tendency to float rather than swim.

For the last couple of weeks my son has been telling me that I should just dig a hole and put sleepers down and cover it with pond liner. Well, Josh, I think you are right. After a bit of research I have found that a pond made of sleepers and liner will come in at 75% of the budget I had for a potable pool.

I figure I could probably manage a decent size tank by digging a 300mm hole and sitting a box like structure made from 2 layers of 200mm sleepers around the top. This would give me a total depth of 600 to 700mm. If I use 2.4mt sleeper for the sides and 1.8mt sleepers for the end I would end up with 2.8cubic mts. Assuming I wont fill it to the top and that some space may be taken up by the pond liner and underlay Then it should easily hold 2,500lt.

I'm glad I didn't start this project when I first thought about doing it because my plans have changed so many times over the last couple of months. I think I am pretty close now to the final draft. I just need to get up of my backside and start working.

No comments:

Post a Comment